Profile: Versatile, experienced analyst with over six years’ experience living and working in China. Articulate, tech-savvy communicator with extensive background in research and writing. Sharp thinker with expertise covering economics, national security, national strategy, foreign policy, politics, and media. Experienced project manager comfortable working with multi-national team in a cosmopolitan, international environment.
• Communications • Macroeconomics • International business
• Writing • Market research • Client outreach
• Project Management • Foreign Policy • National Security
• Research • Report writing • Global strategy
• Data analysis • Political risk • Social media marketing
Languages: Native English speaker. Fluent in Chinese. Fluent in Italian. Reading comprehension in Spanish
Technology: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, STATA, Drupal, WordPress, Final Cut Pro, HTML (basic)
Eurasia Group, New York, NY 1/12 to 5/12
Researched and drafted internal report on China’s contemporary new media scene for global political risk research and consulting firm. Developed social media marketing strategies to promote Every Nation for Itself, book authored by Eurasia Group President Ian Bremmer. Created client outreach plan for promotion of book to New York-based Asia analysts.
Asia Society Online, New York, NY 9/11 – 12/11
Researched and wrote articles for Asia Society’s flagship blog, “Asia Blog.” Interviewed leading academic and professional figures on wide range of subjects pertaining to Asian current events, history, and society
- Increased exposure to site through Twitter and Facebook, leading to a spike in readership.
Danwei, Beijing, China 5/11 to 8/11
Delivered marketing, social media and research projects for media consultancy and blog covering urban life in China. Promoted Danwei content through Chinese and Western social media and video sharing platforms including Tudou (the Chinese YouTube), YouTube & Vimeo.
- Produced research report on Chinese micro-blog marketing for Danwei clients located inAustralia
- Collaborated with President of to re-design Danwei’s website into a new platform integrating more multi-media content.
China Intelligence Online, Kunming, China 7/08 to 3/10
Principal author, editor, and researcher of now-defunct company’s signature commercial intelligence reports including China Logistics Development Report, Asia-Pacific Logistics Development Report, Wuhan Foreign Investment Guide, and Chengdu Foreign Investment Guide. Conducted on-line research, tapped government sources, created charts and graphs, assembled contact directories, and wrote substantial copy. Assisted CEO to write and publish articles on China logistics and macro-economics for International Freight Weekly. Authored and co-authored speeches delivered by firm CEO at these conferences. Advised owner on socialmediastrategy. Supervised multi-national teams of researchers in compiling reports.
- Established company’s social media presence, including creating a blog, writing blog posts, setting up Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn presence, and producing weekly newsletter.
- Marketed Terminal Operators Conferences (TOC) in Shenzhen and Shanghai to China-based shipping and logistics companies.
Freelance Journalist & Blogger 2007-present
Prolific blogger in and on China, with 6 years’ experience in 4 different cities throughout China.
- Write and edit China-focused website (mattschiavenza.com) well-known among Sinophiles and China watchers/journalists, including JamesFallows, ChinaLawBlog, & The Peking Duck.
- Published feature articles, editorials, and book reviews about China and US economics and politics in publications such as The Huffington Post, Journal of International Affairs, and The Morningside Post.
IELTS – International English Language Testing System 2010-present
English as a Second Language , China & California 9/04 to 2/07
Taught English and IELTS prep to students between the ages of 15 & 18 in Lianyungang & Fuzhou, China. Had a number of students who passed test and did study abroad. Taught general English to recent immigrant adults in Menlo Park, CA.
Columbia University, New York, NY. Master of International Affairs , 2012.
- Concentrated in International Security Policy and International Media, Advocacy, and Communications.
- Relevant coursework: Accounting, Statistics, Economics, China’s New Marketplace, Contemporary Diplomacy, East Asian Security, Politics in the Reform Era of China, Chinese Foreign Policy; War, Peace, and Strategy
- Senior Editor, The Morningside Post. Traffic to site increased more than 50% over 2 years.
- Completed capstone project in cooperation with Human Rights Watch analyzing media consumption among DC-based foreign policy professionals.
Kunming College of Eastern Language, Kunming, China. 2007-2008.
University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA. Bachelors of Arts, 2004.
- Major in international studies, concentration in political science.
- Year abroad at University of Padua, Italy
Teacher of English as a Foreign Language certificate
IELTS – International English Language Testing System certificate