The Atlantic, Washington, D.C.
1/13 – present
Editor and writer responsible for The Atlantic’s China content.
- Write articles on China covering a variety of subjects, from politics and business to arts and culture.
- Edit China-related articles submitted by journalists, analysts, and professors.
- Manage relationships with partner publications such as Quartz, ChinaFile, and the Council on Foreign Relations
- Contribute to The Atlantic’s print magazine
- Manage production, formatting, and social media promotion of each China-related Atlantic article
- Appeared as guest on current-affairs based radio and television programs
- Hired and managed an editorial fellow in conjunction with The Atlantic’s Global editor
Ergo, New York, NY
Lead analyst on intelligence-gathering project for research and consulting company. Coordinated data and intelligence collection among network of independent consultants based in Asia- Pacific region
Prolific blogger in and on China, with 6 years’ experience in 4 different cities throughout China.
Write and edit China-focused website (mattschiavenza.com)
- Published feature articles, editorials, and book reviews about China and US economics and politics in publications such as The Daily Beast, The Huffington Post, Journal of International Affairs, and The Morningside Post.
Eurasia Group, New York, NY
1/12 – 5/12
Asia Society Online, New York, NY
Researched and wrote articles for Asia Society’s flagship blog, “Asia Blog.” Interviewed leading academic and professional figures on wide range of subjects pertaining to Asian current events, history, and society.
Danwei, Beijing, China
Delivered marketing, social media and research projects for media consultancy in China.
China Intelligence Online, Kunming, China
Principal author, editor, and researcher of now-defunct company’s signature commercial intelligence reports including China Logistics Development Report, Asia-Pacific Logistics Development Report, Wuhan Foreign Investment Guide, and Chengdu Foreign Investment Guide.
IELTS – International English Language Testing System
3/10 – present
English as a Second Language, China & California
9/04 – 1/07
Taught English and IELTS prep to students between the ages of 15 & 18 in Lianyungang & Fuzhou, China. Taught general English to recent immigrant adults in Menlo Park, CA.
Columbia University, New York, NY. Master of International Affairs
Masters of International Affairs awarded 5/12
- Concentrated in International Security Policy and International Media, Advocacy, and Communications.
- Relevant coursework: Accounting, Statistics, Economics, China’s New Marketplace, Contemporary Diplomacy, East Asian Security, Politics in the Reform Era of China, Chinese Foreign Policy; War, Peace, and Strategy
- Senior Editor, The Morningside Post. Traffic to site increased more than 50% over 2 years.
- Completed capstone project in cooperation with Human Rights Watch analyzing media consumption among DC-based foreign policy professionals.
Kunming College of Eastern Language, Kunming, China
University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA.
Bachelors of Arts awarded 3/04
- Major in International Studies, concentration in political science.
- Year abroad at University of Padua, Italy
Languages: Native English speaker. Fluent in Chinese. Fluent in Italian. Reading comprehension in Spanish
Technology: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, STATA, Drupal, WordPress, Final Cut Pro, HTML (basic)
Teacher of English as a Foreign Language certificate
IELTS – International English Language Testing System certificate